Also known as: SCOTTIE.

Picture of MURRAY BOYD.

Send to a Friend

Neil Murray Boyd (Scottie)
Flight Sergeant Fitter
15th August 1920 - 7th April 2011

Murray was born in Rattray,Blairgowrie, Scotland and later lived in Kinlochleven. Aged 17, he left the village to go to the Apprentices School at Halton where he joined Entry January 1938 in 3 Wing, B Squadron. He passed out age 19, with his Lower Engineering Certificate, and was sent straight from Halton to France. France was then under seige by the Germans and it became a difficult time for him. At one stage his unit was strafed by enemy fighters and about half the men were killed. Murray and several others became seperated from what was left of the unit and fleeing from the advancing German army they were forced to spend time hiding out in barns etc. They worked their way across to Brest and were picked up by a fishing boat which took them to Falmouth; Murray's family had been notified that he was 'Missing in Action'. It is said that when his Mother saw him again she said that he was "a poor wee laddie".

He was posted to South Africa with a Flying Training School and from North Africa arrived back in England on D Day. His next posting was to the Far East. In India he underwent Commando Training and then landed in the Cocos Islands, off the coast of Java. He was there until the war ended when he was transferred back to India and was seconded to the Royal Indian Air Force Training School as an instructor to the Indian Air Force. In 1947 he took part in the handover of the Air Bases at the time of India's independance from Britian. He returned home later in 1947 and was stationed at Kinloss, where he was a Flight Engineer on Test Flying Acceptance of aircraft from Vickers Armstrong. He also made several visits down to the factory at Brooklands, Weybridge.

Prior to entering the RAF Murray played Shinty for Kinlochleven and was in the team in 1937 when they won the 'McTavish Cup'. Subsequently, he played Hockey and in 1947 was invited to play in the Combined Services Team.In 1948/49 he was chosen to play for the RAF and in 1949/50 played in two tours - England, Wales & Ireland with Scotland's Touring Team (The Picts). During 1950/51 he was capped five times for Scotland.

Murray left the RAF in 1950 and for a while worked for British European Airways (BEA) before emigrating to Canada in 1951. When he arrived in Canada he joined the A.V.Roe Aircraft Company as a Foreman in charge of the Final Inspection on the 'Avro Arrow' CF-105 Delta-winged Interceptor project. A.V.Roe then became DeHaviland and finally MacDonnell-Douglas. Following work on many other aircraft Murray retired in 1984, when he was the Deputy Director of Quality Assurance MacDonnell-Douglas Canada Limited.

In retirement he met monthly with co-workers from the aircraft industry and was a former member of the Wyldewood Golf Club. He was also a 10 year member of the Royal Canadian Leigon, Branch 136, in Milton, Ontario and was last on parade with them in August 2010 at the VJ Memorial Day Parade in Milton to remember those lost, and the survivors, of the war in the Pacific. He was extremely proud to have been a Halton Apprentice and he paid several visits to reunions. He never ceased to talk about his RAF days and there were many stories. Murray passed away quite peacefully on Thursday 7th April 2011, in the presence of his family. He leaves a much loved wife Kitty, 4 children and 7 grandchildren.

Added by: STUART SOSSICK on 11th April 2011.


Find a person

Additional Images

Click the thumbnails below to view as the main image.

Picture of MURRAY BOYD.
Picture of MURRAY BOYD.
Picture of MURRAY BOYD.

Make a donation

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Appreciations and tributes

Add your tributes

If you would like to add a tribute to MURRAY BOYD, please use the link below and follow the instructions provided.

Additional links

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
67 Portland Place, London W1B 1AR
0800 169 2942
Registered Charity No. 1081009